Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Twelve


She's 12 today. I am sitting here contemplating how strange that is to me. How can 12 years have passed so stealthily? It seems like just yesterday that I was dragging her dad to The Black-eyed Pea at 10:00 pm - before I checked into the hospital. I couldn't deliver a baby hungry, could I?


It hasn't been that long since we were giving her very first bath. I can still remember how soft her skin was and how tiny her feet. They all said she had long fingers, just like her mom, perfect for playing the piano... and they were right. She plays just beautifully.



Sharalynn nicknamed her "Caro" 'cause she's sweet like the syrup. Her brothers called her "Ho", "Hine" and "Garoline".

We watched umpteen episodes of Barney and Arthur. Our favorite was Gullah Gullah Island because they were like a real family and they sang catchy songs everyday. She rocked her babies to sleep as I rocked mine. We were mommas together. We used to do "hearts and crabs" (arts and crafts) in the afternoon while her brothers slept. She celebrated with us as we brought home each new boy. She still celebrates their milestones with us.

She's kind and compassionate. She is independent. She is musical. She is confident. She keeps those boys in line (including her dad). She is a leader.

We travelled to Disney World to visit the princesses. She's grown out of dress up clothes (almost). We've been to the circus and spent hours at the zoos. She danced her debut in patriotic costumes. She has opinions about movies. Her favorite musical is Wicked. Her favorite food, ice cream. She reads and reads. She performs with Sound Company and plays the oboe in the band.
She's 12 today. I find myself nostalgic and misty-eyed. She's almost 5' tall(57"). She has braces. She's a Christian. She knows the lyrics to all of the popular songs. She doesn't like to make her bed and leaves clothes in her floor. She is almost a teenager.

She's ready for makeup. She matches purses with her clothes. It's all about the necklaces and the earrings (the bigger, the better). She inherited it all.
My daughter Caroline Hope. She was really just 2. Then 5 and 7. We moved when she was 8 . She had the flu on her 9th birthday. 10 was a sock hop, 11 brought the dinner of her dreams. This year at 12? She's been planning her dinner for days (and lamenting that we can't repeat last year again).

How can these memories all be true? I'm telling you, she really was just 2. I love her. I'm proud of her. I can't wait to see what she will be. But for now I am just so thankful to have such a wonderful girl to call my very own.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl

Anonymous said...

Now you have made me cry! I am so glad that Aaron calls her friend. What a lovely young lady she is. Happy Birthday! We call her "sweet Caroline" around here...yes we sing it sometimes!

Anonymous said...

NOw, I am misty eyed! Wow..it just seems like yeterday that you brought that sweet baby girl to Dallas and S and I put lipstick on and kissed her cute little forehead to leave lip marks I just ran across some pphotos of this..We were all at A's. You were the first with a cute little baby! YOu are an incredible MOM and we all could take lessons from you...My girls are now 8 and it seems like yesterday that the pace was so much slower..when we would get up and decide what fun activity we would do today.

As for the East of Eden book..Good luck-- I tried it and had to move on..I might return to it someday-

Luv- Eppy