Friday, February 15, 2008

A Texas Favorite

I grew up eating this pie around the Christmas Holidays. My mom always made it with Blue Bell Peppermint Ice Cream, which you can only find around Christmas! I made it last night for Valentine's Day. I used Blue Bell's Chocolate Covered Cherry ice cream - and it was scrumptious. Easy, too!


Ice Cream Pie


Set 1/2 gallon of ice cream out for 20 minutes, or until soft. Scoop the ice cream into a chocolate graham cracker crust. Completely fill the pie and smooth it out on top. Add a creative topping for decoration (optional). Put in freezer for 2 hours.

When you are ready to serve, let it sit out for 15 minutes before you slice the pie. I always top mine with homemade chocolate sauce. I melt semi-sweet chocolate chips, a little milk and a tablespoon of margarine in the microwave. Ladle sauce generously on top of pie!

Any flavor ice cream will be yummy. If it's available, buy Blue Bell (it has cows and kids on the carton). It's only available in 17 states. I grew up on Blue Bell, being from Texas, and all. My favorite flavor was always Dutch Chocolate. When I was in high school my favorite changed to Chocolate Almond Marshmallow, although it is rather hard to find. My parents always have a half- gallon in the freezer waiting for me when I fly into town - if it is available, that is!

Blue Bell rolled into East Tennessee during the summer of 2006. We went straight out and bought 5 different flavors. Yep, FIVE! I couldn't wait to set that creaminess on my tongue. It isn't too creamy and not too sweet. It is just perfect. Blue Bell sets the standard for me -it isn't too creamy and it isn't too sweet.

Last summer I ventured out and tried Chocolate Covered Cherry and Chocolate Covered Strawberry. They are excellent, too. Brooks prefers the C.C.Strawberry while I like the C.C.Cherry. Reed sticks to the Dutch Chocolate. Caroline and MH love the Cookies 'n Cream. Cole is a Mint Chocolate Chip boy.

Well, now you know our preferences and what we ate last night. It was a great Valentine's Day at our house. Don't forget to buy Blue Bell the next time you are at the store - I'm dyin' to know what your flavor is....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband reads his friend's blog on icecream. Not kidding, a whole blog about icecream (this guy has several blogs). Anyway, he said the ultimate was Ben and Jerry's Cinnamon bun (yes, chuncks of buns in icecream). I could only handle maybe one spoonful at a time.

Anonymous said...

I'm slow in replying, but it's not because I didn't immediately know what my family's favorite flavors are. Here they are: (we all had to put two because it's SO hard to choose.)
me- chocolate decadence, hands down. and 2nd is French Vanilla Capuccino.
Jonathan-coffee, dutch chocolate
Rebekah-coffee, cookies 'n cream
Justin-cookies 'n cream, choc. mint chip -because it's green and that's his favorite color
Robert is not so easy to mention. He says nothing comes close to his true favorite which is Jamocha Almond Fudge at Baskin & Robbins. He is happy though to have Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla or Dutch Chocolate or Coffee as long as he can add chocolate syrup and pecans on top.

Now, about my favorite flavors: they are only sold every so often and that is way too infrequently, like every 2-3 years it seems. I've even written Blue Bell to ask when they'll be making them again and they don't tell me such things, unfortunately. So I just keep checking the shelves. Those 2 flavors are HEAVENLY!!