Monday, February 18, 2008

Eureka!

Amelia Lou, Little Cindy Who and I had lunch at Panera last week. We haven't been together much lately, so we planned a long and leisurely lunch in a booth. Booths in our Panera are scarce. You really have to be aggressive to get one. You see, we don't have many retail options, so those of us who otherwise might be shopping and funding our local schools with tax money, instead compete for a warm and comfy seat for our long lunches.


I grew up in a big city - where you have to plan to meet a friend if you want to see someone you know. However, I've learned that in a small town, you will almost always see someone you know. Still, I'm amazed at the number of familiar faces at Panera everytime I am there. Sure enough, today was another day of brief conversations with many people I knew. Best of all, we ran into a friend who we used to see everyday at step aerobics and on a regular basis at bookclub. Unfortunately our gym sold out to the competition and we no longer have our morning class to keep us together. You know how it goes when you see an old friend - you have the typical discussion on what you've been doing.

That's how it happened. I mentioned that I've been blogging and she said "really! one of my friends from high school does that". We were drawing her in from her standing position, but I could tell she had places to go. She was expecting a coffee table that day. On her way off to the car she said "it's really funny, my friend's blog says 'read by tens of people everyday'".
and we all three said -"YOU KNOW BOOMAMA????"

That's when the rest of the familiar faces gazed over at us to see what exactly had just happened.

What had happened? We had discovered that Boo Mama exists and we got to hear all about her. Little Cindy Who has been convinced that she is a contrived image - not a real person. Amelia Lou and I just insisted that she really is out there - blogging in Birmingham. After all, last week she was in Uganda.

Boo Mama was my introduction to the world of blogging. Last August I was in the midst of an internet search when I happened upon her blog. I skimmed the entry for what I was looking for and was headed out to find the next clue, when I found Boo Mama's writing so witty that I had to keep reading. and reading. and reading.

I discovered that blogging is really another way of looking at life. Looking for the humorous in every day. If you try, you will find about 50 different blog titles in the rigors of daily life.
And so it was that our weekly walks turned into great discussions on Boo Mama and her blog, and her Old Navy shopping habits, and her love for Mississippi State. Amelia Lou is from Alabama, I lived in Mississippi and we both know lots of State fans. Amelia Lou has been on a quest to locate Boo Mama's favorite catfish restaurant. We tuned into her Big Boo Cast with Big Mama. I even bought her favorite lip gloss. Remember how I mentioned that my friends named my blog? It's all because of Boo Mama.

I am really not obsessed, but it never hurts to ask, right? We shopped at a Christmas Extravaganza last November and I found the nicest women who were selling purses - they were from Birmingham. I asked if they happened to know Boo Mama and Little Cindy Who about fell out from embarrassment. She hasn't let me forget it, either. Until last Wednesday. Now she knows. Boo Mama is real and I'll bet she really does blog from Panera!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, get ready for this because it won't happen often (ha)....."I was wrong."

And now I have hopes one day of running into someone who has met my imaginary friend (who is named Dorie and happened to live behind my closet door, but thats another story). Maybe I'll google her.

boomama said...

I *do* blog from Panera occasionally, you know. And I have an email from our mutual friend that I have been meaning to answer forever. One time in elementary school we created a secret club at her house. I can't remember the name of the club, though. Which is good, I guess, since it was supposed to be a secret.

:-)