Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Stick of Gum

Let's start with chewing gum.  Tomorrow I'll discuss bubble gum ('cause that is really my favorite and I always save the best for last).

Trident - I grew up on this gum.  My dad always had spearmint or peppermint.  I liked the old bubble gum flavor the best but they changed the formula sometime between my 7th year and my 37th and it isn't as I remembered.  This gum hurts my jaw if I chew it very long.  I think they need to increase the serving size to give more shock absorbancy for the jaw.  The bubble blowing capacity is WAY below average.  Bubbles are minute... not worth the tongue effort.  
Overall score:  4
Extra - This gum was born in 1984 and was the #1 chewing gum within 5 years.  It comes in 7 flavors - my favorite is peppermint.  The classic bubble flavor gets tough after a good chewing, so it's squashing capacity is limited.  Spearmint grosses me out after a while, so it too has limited chew time (lct).  Peppermint lasts and lasts, along with the consistency.  I personally can't stand the smell of the fruity flavors, so I don't buy them.  Bubble blowing capacity is not too bad, although it does have a messy lip hazard.  If the bubble expands too much, it will pop and a thin smattering of gum will be all over your lips in small dabs.  (very frustrating).
Overall score: 8
Ice Cubes - These are presented as the cutest little squares.  Unfortunately, that is all they offer.  Within 15 minutes they are tough, tough, tough.  and the flavor is gone, gone, gone.  You won't even have time to attempt a bubble
Overall score: 1
Juicy Fruit - Originated in 1893.  Yep, that's right, folks.  It is over 100 years old.  They stopped making it for a short time during WWII and it was re-introduced in 1943.  It is the number one selling fruit gum brand in the U.S. and is the number 1 favorite among kids.  What is wrong with those parents?  Don't they know sugar causes cavities??  I do like Juicy Fruit, but after a while it seems to go bad.  The consistency turns slimy and the flavor?  Well, after a few hours, it tastes like an old banana.  Bubbles are ok in the beginning.  But if you are to the slimy stage, don't bother or you might just flip the whole piece onto the floor.
Overall score: 6
Stride - Dashed onto the market in 2006.  Sells itself as "Ridiculously long lasting gum" - I find this preposterous.  The flavor is pretty much lost within 89 minutes.  By 105 minutes my jaw is exhausted and the gum?  Non-pliable.  Surprisingly, this goo takes on air quite well and the bubbles are sturdy and quite bulbous.  The manufacturers claim the wrapper will "melt in your mouth" although we found this to be a tall tale.
Overall score: 5
Orbit - This gum emerged on the scene in 1944 but was removed by 1946. It re-emerged in 1977 as a stick of gum and as Wrigley's first sugarfree gum.  At some point, it disappeared again, and they started selling it again in 2001 as pieces in a rectangular box.  There is a candy coated version, but I cannot expound on its effectiveness as I hate the initial crunch.  My favorite flavor is cinnamon.  The flavor sticks around quite a while but does not cause my tongue to be burned from the spice.  Consistency is good.  Bubbles just average.  Other likeable flavors:  sweet mint, peppermint, and lime mojito (especially likeable).
Overall score: 9
Wrigley's 5 - Hubs first bought this hip looking box of gum in Kentucky.  He decided to give it a shot.  Whew!  What a find!  I love it!  Five features 3 flavors - Cobalt (peppermint), Rain (spearmint), and Flare (cinnamon).  All 3 are full of flavor that lasts and lasts - all day long if you are patient enough to wait it out.  The texture is firm but supple.  The gum is a bit more expensive than other brands, but I find that one could even slice one piece into 2, making it surprisingly economical.  In my ever-changing likes and dislikes, my favor of Flare has morphed into a likeness for peppermint - although when chewed too long - my tongue begins to feel pruny.  If that is even possible.  Bubbles are successful without much effort and popping capabilities are just outstanding!
Overall score: 10, 10 10!

If you've stuck around this long, you deserve a prize.  Most certainly you will be an educated buyer the next time you are deliberating over the endless possibilities available!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may want to send this one to the gum manufacturers. Surely some of them will improve their product based on your comments and some may even use your comments in marketing their product. I for one need to venture out and become acquainted with some of the new flavors and gums that are available. You are never to old to experience life to the fullest!

Anonymous said...

hahah you crack me up!! and you may have converted me to a Five user... i take after my aunt in my gum addiction <3

Anonymous said...

I tried Wrigley's 5 this week for the 1st time and was pleased, thanks to your recommendation. Thanks for improving my quality of life here in Statesboro, GA.
M.

Anonymous said...

p.s. I forgot to comment on Juicy Fruit, so had to write again. You are SO right. The flavor is so yummy for about the first 3 minutes, but then it's gone and YUK. What a disappointment, and especially now that we know we have to chew it for at least 10 minutes.