Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Back to the Gym

This was written last Thursday:

I headed back to the gym today.  It's been quite a few weeks since I've been there.  I have been quite busy playing nurse maid to sick kids - plus I've been blogging (which takes some time).  I've also been planning birthday parties and painting my nails....  So what it really boils down to, is the fact that any excuse has been a good one and I've been skipping out.

Little Cindy Who (LCW) and I had plans to run a 5K in March.  Until I realized that March 22 in East Tennessee could quite possibly bring snow.  I absolutely refuse to run outside in cold weather - so - since there is that possibility - I have postponed the first inaugural 5K until the weather promises to cooperate.  

LCW and I also have plans to avoid osteoperosis and firm up the sag by lifting weights on a regular basis.  We were in a great routine last Spring (after my knee surgery) but somehow we have been unable to get it together again.

Until today.  I promise.  We are really starting again. Well, I am starting.  She's been going great guns since Fall.  I, on the other hand, have not.  We began this journey in January.  We headed into the weight room to brave the world of men.  Usually the weight room is full of big, buff men who like to listen to head-bangin' rock (which we personally cannot stand).  Do you think there is something about Ozzie Osbourne that builds muscles?  I have my doubts (especially since my phone rings "Crazy Train" when hubs calls).  If it did, I would be hugemongous just from the phone calls).  Too bad it doesn't work that way.

Fortunately for us, we met Gerald in January.  He came to our rescue when another hugemongo male decided to give us some lifting tips.  The HM (hugemongo male) volunteered to teach us some abs exercise that might possibly kill us (and yes, he really did say that) - but he also added that they were just what we needed to whip our bellies into shape.  Gerald appeared just after HM's demonstration of the exercises and kindly suggested that we start with some easier reps.  To this day, we meet Gerald on Tuesdays and Thursdays for our FREE personal training at the gym.  He always has some type of hint for the day - how to improve our form with just one small adjustment or how to cook tilapia, or with an encouraging word to keep us coming back for more.

He was happy to have us back today. I'm happy, too.  It's my legs that won't be happy tomorrow!  Oh well, no pain, no gain... right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You sound like a girl who owns weight lifting gloves, has perfected the squat, and can maintain perfect lipstick coverage throughout an entire workout.