Sunday, March 23, 2008

Snowshoe


We just returned from our annual ski trip to Snowshoe, WV. I think everyone would agree that we had a great time. Brooks and Reed decided to switch to snowboarding while the rest of us remained on skiis. Cole showed the biggest improvement. This was the first year he made it off the bunny slope. Now he is lightning fast. He makes turns looks easy and the slopes look flat. He couldn't go fast enough! Plus, he did little jumps - making baskets as he calls it - all the way down. His favorite trail included the terrain park where he skiied the rails and I bit my fingernails! Tim and Caroline discovered the fun of the black diamond slopes. and how it feels to snowplow too long when you are on a really steep mountain. Oh, excuse me, Tim says he did NOT snowplow. I wasn't there, so I can't contest his story. but Caroline said her hips hurt for days. Nevertheless, try and try again was the theme. When a slope seemed really hard, Caro was ready to go again to master it. She gets that fine quality from her dad. He tried a slope but felt like it had mastered him, so he rode back up and did it again until he was skiing down - not skidding down.

The snowboarders did quite well. After a day on their rumps last year, the boys traded in their boards for skiis. But this year, they stuck with it and now they are boarding down blues. Brooks even took off on a black and only fell twice. Wow!

As for me? Well, I am slow by choice. I prefer to bring up the back of the crowd. I skiied the blues with everyone - I just like to stay in control and watch how everyone else is doing. The first year I was the only experienced skiier, so I brought up the rear to pick up poles and skiis as they were lost on the way down. I don't really have to do that too often these days, but I still like to watch. There is nothing like watching your kids head down the mountain on their own as fast as they can manage. Dragging their hands through the snow as they glide, gathering as much snow as possible in those little hands. They never get cold and they don't mind cold hands. They might fall down, but they are right up again with a smile on their face and the snowball still ready for throwing as soon as they find their dad.
How about these legs on the way to the pool?

We swam in the pools and visited various restaurants at night. It snowed the first night and rained on the last. Spring skiing is iffy. There is always quite a bit of slush by the afternoon but the mornings are perfect. Not too cold. Not too crowded.

Here we are ready for the slopes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were your ski pants patterned?

Anonymous said...

The boots looked great with the swimsuits and what gorgeous legs. It sounds like ti was a productive vacations. I'll bet those goggles were super when it was snowing!!