Monday, March 24, 2008

My Take on Gum

I wonder how may of you know me well enough to know that I LOVE GUM.  Always have, always will... unless it sticks to my dentures (when I get them).  and then there's Freedent!  I am quite an accomplished and opinionated masticator.  


Hubs is a very particular chewer. Interpreted... he is picky when it comes to gum.  There are very few pieces that will stay in his mouth longer than 5 minutes.  I, too, am selective.  I refuse to share my gum with said borrower if they will throw it away too soon.  Well, I will share, but I will heckle you if you fail to chew it the expected number of hours.  and believe me, I know the squashing endurance of each brand.

You see, I will chomp on a piece of gum until it can be chomped no more.  Hours and hours and hours. I drink with gum in my mouth.  I can eat with gum in my mouth (in dire situations) - but I don't recommend eating popcorn with gum.  I've been like this since I was young.  When I was a teenager, one of my presents (I think from my stocking) was a gum saver.  I was the coolest kid on the block. in my humble opinion.   Yes, I used to save my gum overnight.  I would restart the chewing the next day after I brushed my teeth - right after breakfast.  Crazy, huh?  I used my gum saver most often when I had non-sugarless bubble gum, which was a rarity.  Occasionally I stored my gum on my plate while eating.  I have to admit, I would cringe before allowing that at my table today.  I am much more sophisticated now.

I don't try the whitening gum.  I despise candy coated gum.  I make exceptions for gumballs.  After all, they make some of the best bubbles.

When I was in grade school, gum was a no no.  The only gum I could chew was Aspergum.  I got away with it as often as I could.  Some teachers allowed gum in high school.  I bought Watermelon Hubba Bubba because Mr. Snell (my 9th grade History teacher) hated the smell.  but he let me chew it and I loved that about him.  

For years I have longed for chocolate flavored gum.  I figured if I could just get the chocolate in a chewing form, I wouldn't have to eat so many calories.  Last year, we found chocolate Bubble Yum at Justice.  The kids and I tried it and it was NASTY!  Brooks liked it.  He got to have the rest of the 2 remaining packs.

Stay tuned this week.  I'll have a full discussion and comparison of gum.  Sugarless and sugar-filled.  Sticks and cubes.  Bubble and non-bubble.  How's that for something to chew on?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did your make-up application class cover how to maintain lipstick coverage when blowing bubbles? That one has always gotten me.

I'm guessing the original Willy Wonka really freaked you out and showed you where the gum chewing limits really were

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to the week. Everyone needs to have a comparison of all the kinds and flavors of gums, but I would prefer if you left out all those nasty types that Brooks tried to foist off on me last summer. Talk about nasty! Just the names were enough to say never again will I be tempted to taste any of them when he offers them to me.

Anonymous said...

this is the quintessential blog topic for you. I knew it as soon as I read the first line. I, on the other hand, have been blessed with allergies and I've noticed in the past few years that chewing gum often makes my throat hurt after just 20-30 minutes. And, dr. says no yellow #5 or salicylates so that rules out much gum anyway. I've given up but do occasionally have some Orbit "sweet mint". But then the kids discover I have it and bug me incessantly so I wait till the pack is gone and don't buy anymore. I guess they need to visit their aunt to experience life w/ gum....

Anonymous said...

p.s. can't you hear the voices saying "freedent isn't sugarless and you don't want anymore teeth falling out..."

do you let your kids have non-sugarless after all our years of training?? I was thoroughly brainwashed but of course I also have been blessed with dental issues to reinforce all that training we received.