Thursday, March 27, 2008

Bubble Gum

Finally!  A chance to discuss one of my favorite things!  Bubble Gum...

First a few fun facts:

*  "Bubble Gum (with sugar) is intended to be chewed for a longer amount of time than any other food.  If you throw it out too soon, the sugar can be detrimental to your teeth.  If you chew it longer than 10 minutes, your saliva will neutralize the oral cavity allowing the body's natural defenses to kick in".  Thank you Cadbury Schweppes for that tip.  Wish I'd read it about 30 years ago.  I'm sure it would have convinced my parents that gum with sugar is ok!

*Bubble gum was first developed in 1906 by Frank Fleer.  It was called Blibber-Blubber Gum but it was never marketed.  In 1928, an employee of Fleer perfected the recipe and called it Dubble Bubble.

and now to the ratings...
Bubble Yum - this is the first gum I recall being sold in chunks.  It was always a no no at our house.  Too much sugar.  The bubbles were great, though.  I was always drawn to it in the checkout line.  They developed a sugarless variety, but those bubbles are way below par.  You must need sugar to have a bubble blowing boom.
Overall score: 8

Hubba Bubba - sold as "the bubble with no trouble" because it isn't as sticky.  It was discontinued in the US in the 1990's but is once again on the market.  I haven't had any in 25 years.  My favorite used to be green apple.
Scoreless

Bubblicious - still on the market today.  Marketed as having the biggest bubbles.  It is not my favorite.  The portion size is too big for the mouth and the gum develops into a slimy mess within minutes.   
Scoreless

Gum Balls - Ohhh, I love me a good gumball.  Especially one purchased from a cool maze for $.25 at a restaurant - a mexican restaurant around here.  My favorite color is (and always has been) blue.  Last week in Snowshoe, while waiting for over an hour to eat, we found some that appeared to be tie-dyed.  I declared them to be my new favorite until my extremely intelligent and reasonable friend deduced that rather than tie-dyed, they were old and sun damaged.  Oh well, I'm sure they still tasted as good.  I hate yellow, white and green.  I will give them away.  But blue, pink, red, orange - back away from my gum!  The bubbles will be great for about 15 minutes and the tongue exhausted from blowing - so it is perfectly reasonable to be throwing this into the trash within 30 minutes.  Expect a jaw-ache.
Overall score:  7

Dubble Bubble - The flavor of this gum seems to have changed since I was young.  It is juicier - doesn't get as dry.  I still find this gum to be stiff and tasteless within 30 - 40 minutes  The bubbles might be good a time or two, but they fail to sustain the bulbous spheres that a true bubble-blower desires.  The gum tends to pop in a loud snap that could injure fragile lips, so indulge with caution.
Overall score: 5

Bazooka - There are 2 different choices for this gum.  One packaged like Bubble Yum - big, soft morsels to put in your mouth, or smaller rectangles that are firm and dusted with white powder.  The morsels are great in the beginning but quickly turn to slimy mush.  The other variety blows great bubbles, although the flavor will not win any awards.  If purchasing the rectangles (packaged like starburst), a squeeze will confirm the age of the gum.  Hard translates to stiff, tongue exercising, bubble bombs.  Oh, a packaging bonus for my mom.  Bazooka is wrapped in comics.
Overall score: 7

Super Bubble - I did it again!  Saved the best for last.  This is my all-time favorite pink bubble maker.  It also comes in green apple and grape.  Grape is horrible.  Tough, non-pliable, blech.  Green apple used to be my favorite.  It has a distinct smell that permeates every room you've ever walked into.  Green bubbles are good, but won't win a contest.  Pink is definitely tops - but I only buy it when it is squeezably soft.  It won't work like Charmin, but if it's soft enough to squeeze, you'll have enviable bubbles.  I find that it will last a few hours although all colors will be stiff toward the end of the experience.  
Overall score:10

and now I'll end with the lyrics to a song I heard in Hilton Head 28-ish years ago.  I don't know who wrote it, but it was sung by Greg Russell under the old oak tree in Harbour Town.

"Gimme gimme gimme some bubba bubba bubba gum"
"Baby, I want to blow your mind"
"Do it, chew it, do it, chew it"
"Do it, chew it, bubba bubba bubba gum"
"Baby, I want chew da be mi-ine."

That's all I remember - love the memories!  I could sing it for you to give you the real idea, but that would be far too scary!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a video of my kids singing that song at showcamp if you need it for inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I am so relieved to know which bubble gum is the best. Next time I'm buying some, I'll know which to buy: pink or maybe green Super Bubble. I never liked Dubble Bubble or gum balls because they have to be thrown out so soon, and now all those years of being overwhelmed with all the Hubba Bubba, Bubble Yum, Bubblicious and Bazooka choices are over. Thanks for your help!

You should share this info with Cook's Illustrated Magazine and they might hire you or at least print your article.

Now, about that comment from Mr. Schweppes - is he very scientific? I'm having trouble believing someone named Cadbury and Schweppes regarding sugar and teeth. Have you consulted your dentist with this info? I'm still scared to let my kids in on this sugary gum life....what are your dental bills like??

Anonymous said...

I feel as if my life is empty since I don't chew gum.