Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fools

It’s been a fun day full of pranks at our house.  After I initiated my first two children in 2007, they have been just waiting for April 1st to come back around.  Last year the 1st was on a Sunday – a beautiful day – prime for sitting on the deck and drinking some good ‘ole iced tea.  I brewed a big batch for those two and invited them to sit and chat on the deck over a glass of unsweetened tea.  They had the biggest grins on their faces, not really understanding the occasion for such generosity from their mom.  I presented the tea with sliced lemons and a bowl full of sugar, which they liberally sprinkled into their glasses.  Strangely enough, the tea just didn’t take on the sweetness one would expect with a teaspoon of the granules.  And two teaspoons really grossed them out.  But they were diligent.  They tried again.  While hubs and I watched through the French doors….  It was “alarious” as Cole likes to say.  Unfortunately for them, tea will never taste sweet when you are pouring in salt by the spoonful.

 So, now you can see just why they have been so intent on revenge.  This morning my alarm clock went off at 5:30 am rather than 6:30.  Hubs even asked, “why is your alarm going off, and mine isn’t?”  He is the one who rises at such a dark hour on Tuesdays.  I quickly hit snooze and realized that my hooligans had started the day out a little early.  Caroline also greeted me with a smile on her face and some crazy get-up on.  She was dressed in quite a concoction of clothing when she greeted this morning.  I thought she had suddenly lost her mind.  The last trick I saw today was the swapping of cereal bags.  I began to prepare my bowl this morning when I realized that it was Raisin Bran rather than Honey Bunches of Oats ( yes, I still eat this most every morning – since college).  Oh, and the one that got the most attention, was Reed's trip downstairs to ask, "uh, mom?  What do you do when the toilet overflows?"  Now that got my attention.

 I’ll have to plan better next year.  I am sure with every year that passes, their pranks will evolve.  I'll make sure mine do, too.  But for now, I am having fun introducing them to the oldest tricks in the book.  They are stand-bys for some, but for the young, they are just “alarious”.  

Tonight will be fun.  I made Cole and Reed’s beds backwards and for Brooks and Caroline, they will find climbing into the sheets a bit difficult.  I spent the afternoon short-sheeting their beds.  Ahh the fun of being the most experienced and having some tricks up my sleeve.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

loved the pranks....I thought you might do a prank blog....at my house it was green milk in the carton, a toad in the tissues box, and for dinner peas and carrots made out of candy (they looked very real, I was impressed)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear how the day finished up. what fun!! Too bad April Fools only comes once a year.

Anonymous said...

You are the fun mom.