Tuesday, April 8, 2008

40 Before 40

40 things I will do (or at least attempt) before I turn 40...

1. Run 40 miles.  No, not at one time.  Just 40 miles.  I wouldn't want to put myself into shock.
2. Climb Mt. LeConte
3. Read 40 books.
4. Learn something about graphic art - at least enough to understand my blog header.
5. Start taking piano lessons
6. Learn to change/add ringtones on my cell phone.
7. Play more games
8. Paint at least one room in my house.
9. Understand/code HTML - that goes along with #4
10. Have 4 dinner parties
11. Learn to identify "travelling" in a basketball game.  After all of these years, you would think I would have it mastered by now.
12. Decide whether to take up tennis again.
13. Get our meals back under control.  Interpreted:  quit being lazy and use my brain.  I used to be so good at organizing!
14. Have my 2nd and very, very last garage sale.  After this year, I'm all done.
15. Sell something on Ebay.
16. Watch/help my youngest child learn to read.
17. Score a complete baseball game (without losing track when something exciting happens).
18. Watch all Bourne movies without falling asleep.  I've slept through 2 of 3....
19. Get all of our boxes unpacked and moved out of the house.  Some are still packed from our move to Mississippi 8 years ago.
20. Eat chocolate chip pancakes at the Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg.  Oh my, they are the very best.
21. Take a yoga class
22. Host a chocolate fountain party
23. Take a cooking class
24. Hike (part of) the Appalachian Trail
25. Should I really go skinny dipping?  that would be a first....
26. Run a 5k race.
27. Go on an overnight camping trip.  Ohhh, don't know if I should have put that in writing.
28. Learn to belly dance.
29. Clean out the basement.
30. Take up BodyJam
31. Read the Bible through from cover to cover
32. Ski down a black slope
33. Get back into the splits again.  Notice I did not promise to repeat a high kick routine, or anything outlandish like that!
34. Try 10 new foods.  I've already tried rattlesnake.  I'm sure I can find a few other gross delicacies for me to partake of....
35. Memorize my most commonly used credit card.  I'm tired of looking it up!
36. Take each of my 4 children on a special outing.
37. Learn to identify a Copperhead!
38. Play Guitar Hero
39. Row again.
40. Run and WALK the Houston 1/2 Marathon on January 18, 2009.  Anyone want to join me?

326 more days till Friday, March 13, 2009!  Surely I'll be prepared for the new decade once I've lived through all of these adventures....

I have just one question for you...  How many people do you know who have their 40th birthday on Friday the 13th?  Bet I'm the only one!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. New blog means business. Everything is so pretty and your fonts rock. You know I will be holding you to this list. I'm worn out just thinking of your year to come. I think marking them off with a sharpie would be so cathartic.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure which is more appalling. Running forty miles or belly dancing.

Anonymous said...

what an ambitious list of goals. Lots of them sound like fun, especially eating chocolate chip pancakes at the Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg and hosting a chocolate fountain party. Those will also make you more healthy, because chocolate is so good for you. Your goal for the Houston marathon sounds good to us. We have a pretty good B&B that is available that weekend. Maybe one of us can join you, but he did not make any commitment when he read your blog.
You are the special one that I know that has a birthday on Friday, the 13th.