Thursday, November 6, 2008

Mt. LeConte



Tim and I took the most fabulous trip last weekend!  We met up with a group from the Smoky Mountain Field School and trekked up Mt. LeConte, to the third highest point in the Smokies.  We began our journey as strangers at 9:00 am Saturday morning.  The temperature was about 35 when we started and the projected high at the top was 48 (the low was 12!).  


The leaves are beautiful right now.  Everywhere you look there is a combination of the evergreens mixed with lighter green, turning to yellow, orange, and red.  David Morris, our fearless and enthusiastic guide, stopped periodically to give a brief history lesson along with details of the natural sights we were taking in all around us.  
We were required to wear hiking boots and at this time of the year you really need to dress in layers.  I was bundled up and freezing at the start (not to mention a little nervous and apprehensive).  Once we started hiking, I was toasty warm within about 15 minutes! 

 The trail followed a creek for the first 2 miles.   We could hear the rushing water although we couldn't always see it.  We took the Rainbow Falls Trail to the top.  The trail is 6.7 miles total.  You reach the falls at mile 2, then it's 4.7 miles straight up. Unfortunately, the falls were low on water, but there was some water and one of our pictures captures the "rainbow effect".

I was quite surprised to find 3 different specimens of bear droppings.  At one point, our guide presented it as "fresh"!  I was relieved to clarify that "fresh" meant sometime in the past 24 hours, not the past 30 minutes!  We also found one spot in the snow with a perfect bear print.  Amazing!

The last .6 miles of the trail was covered in ice and snow.  It was a bit treacherous.  

I was happy to reach the lodge where we indulged in steaming hot chocolate while taking in the beautiful view of life 4,000 feet below us!  I am not a fan of hot chocolate, but after a day of hiking and with the cold temps, it tasted good enough for me to drink 2 cups.
We had a great dinner and went out to the cliff tops to watch the sun go down.  Again, we had to cautiously hike through the snow, but once we got to the ledge, the view was incredible!

We stayed in cabins with double bunk beds and kerosene heaters.  The beds were really cozy.  Actually, by about 3:00 am they were rather toasty.  Tim and I were on the top and I was burning up! 

Sunday morning, we skipped sunrise.  The icy trails deterred us.  I was a little afraid I would injure myself and have to go down (4,000 feet) in pain.   Llamas bring in the weekly supplies 3 times a week, so the only way in and out is on foot.

The sunrise was beautiful from our porch, so I don't feel that I missed it all.  
We met for a huge breakfast (pancakes, eggs, canadian bacon, biscuits, grits, coffee, and tea) around 8. By 9:15 we were headed back down the icy slope. 

 Overall, the trip down took about 4 hours.  You don't really think about it, but going down is even harder than going up.  It is especially hard on your knees.  The views were spectacular and the fall color at its peak.  
I added this trip to my list just to say I did it.  I really didn't anticipate the experience being anything more than just hiking a mountain. 
 However, the people we met along the way were so interesting and the sights were indescribable.  I can't wait to do it all again, only this time we will take an alternate trail up and back (there are 5 routes total).  Anyone want to join me?

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to join you! It sounds like the type of trip that used to be my favorite thing to do in Colorado. However, I prefer it to be a little warmer than you described. I am sure it was beautiful with the trees in fall colors. I don't think there are many things in nature more beautiful than the treees in the fall in the Smokies. This was a great activity for your "list".