Sunday, November 16, 2008

I'm Confused

While we are on the topic of shopping, I figure I will confess to you my complete confusion on why anyone would want to shop at Abercrombie or Abercrombie & Fitch, or Hollister.


Caroline and I took a little shopping trip with our friends in Montgomery this summer.  Caroline and Borden really wanted to shop for a few hours (ok, it was really me wanting to take a trip to Harolds, but it included shopping for the girls, too).  So, we set out to a great outdoor mall near their house.  After I bought the dress I'd wear to Adam's wedding (at Harold's), we began our search for clothes for the girls.  They wanted twin t-shirts.  Justice let us down and the store next door did, too.  So we headed into Hollister - you know - the store with no name on the outside???  Please enlighten me on that one.  In the past few years I've walked by multiple times just trying to find the name of the dadgum place.  So, I usually just call it "the store with no name".

Anyway,  we venture into this dark room with BLASTING music and some sort of hidden cologne misting dispenser that continuously pours out the odor of the day.  The girls are drawn to cute little cami's and scoop-necked t's which looked horrible on, not to mention the fact that they were overpriced and inappropriate for our 12 year old girls.  Our down and discouraged daughters then ventured to the t's with "HOLLISTER" written on them.  They weren't wild about them, but they acquiesed and decided that they'd better agree or we'd be leaving for the day empty-handed.  So, Jennifer and I shelled out an amazing amount of money for a simple t-shirt with a store logo on it.  They look cute, though, don't they?

In addition to the scavenger-like search our daughters took us on, I haven't even mentioned the affect of the environment on these almost 40 year old moms.  I felt like I was going blind!  That store was so dark and the mirrors had a haze on them.  It was impossible to get a true picture of the image in the mirror - hint number one that they are trying to encourage poor buying decisions from the dressing room. Plus, the four of us were completely disabled from all communication.  The music was so loud - I couldn't think - much less talk to anyone without yelling at the top of my lungs.  

I was seriously hoarse by the time I left.  and I had a headache from the overstimulization of my olfactory senses.  I could smell that blasted store for hours after our visit.

Yesterday Caroline and I sauntered into an Abercrombie and I began to recollect our summertime experience.  Once again, the store was dark and overly scented, with music blasting at decibels beyond one's hearing health.  I hope they have a good worker's compensation package for the young employees.  I predict imminent hearing loss for them all.

What is so great about these stores?  They have no variety... just shirts and jackets with the logo,  jeans that have been ripped to shreds in the making and a high price tag, to boot!  I know, I am showing my age and my practical tendencies (does that picture make you laugh, Mom?).  Obviously I just don't get it.  I recently asked Brooks and his friend what it is about one girl in their class who seems to be passed around by the boys - they both just said - "you know, she wears those cool clothes from Abercrombie and Hollister".  I was shocked - it had nothing to do with her figure, her hair, or her personality.  Her attraction for the 5th grade boys was her mother's ability to withstand the torturous experience of pouring out mucho dinero for tight fitting, colorful, logo-ridden clothing.

I think I need to go take a shower.  Just writing about these experiences are bringing the odor misting experience back to reality.  I can't handle another assault on my senses this weekend!

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am with you totally. When I was in Minnesota I refused to go into Hollister with my friend to buy clothes for her 18 year old son. The smell was so powerful just sitting outside the store in the mall it gave me a headache. It takes a lot to keep me out of a store as you know. But that place just STINKS!!!!!!!