Monday, November 24, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

My parents are coming to town tomorrow night.  We are excited to have them this year for Thanksgiving.  Last year we were in Hilton Head with my parents and my sister's family.  I was sick as a dog with a respiratory virus and shingles, so this year I have great hopes of a healthy Turkey Day.


Of course healthy at this time of the year is nearly impossible.  So, when Brooks woke up with a stomachache, I was not too surprised.  I actually handled it quite well and began to make my 
"To Do" list in my head.  I had a whole house to clean and a few things to cook for Thursday.  I'd just been waiting for a good excuse to stay home all day.

The weather is rainy - and it is chilly.  I think the high is 47° today.  Actually, that's warm compared to the weekend.  November has been exceptionally cold this year.  Hopefully it will be unusually warm in January and February.  I'm just hoping............

In order to check one item off of my list, I had to make 3 trips to the grocery store today!  Oh the things I will do just to please my husband.  I kept forgetting little items that can't be left out of Tim's very favorite holiday breakfast, mincemeat pies.  I think I enjoy making them as much as he enjoys eating them.  It's the only thing I've ever made that involves chopping oranges and lemons, peel and all.   

I got my recipe from Tim's mom.  She got it from her mother-in-law, Tim's grandmother.  The two of us are continuing a tradition passed down from Nenaw's family.  They were frugal, rural people who killed hogs in the wintertime using the head for mincement which was canned for pies.  By the time Billie (my mother-in-law) joined the family in 1953, Nenaw had switched to purchasing pork roasts.  Thank goodness!

It took me a mere 10 years to decide I would try a mincemeat pie.  There was just something about eating a pie with meat in it that turned me away.  However, at some point, I started to love them.  I think part of it is that I finally acquired a taste for the mixture and the other is my love for those in this family.  I always love traditions!

Here is our version of a mincemeat pie:

Cook a 4 pound pork butt roast till tender.  Shred it in a food processor.  Save the broth.

While pork is cooking, chop by hand or in a food processor: 3 oranges, 2 lemons, and 5 unpeeled apples.

Add meat and fruit to a 6 quart pot with the following:
2 lbs. raisins, 3 cups sugar, 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon, 
1 tablespoon of each: cloves, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, salt.
2 cups of each: apple juice, orange juice, pork broth
1 cup of cider vinegar.

The mixture will be very soupy.  Simmer on top of stove for about an hour until flavors have blended and fruit rinds are tender.  Most of the liquid should cook out but do not allow it to become too dry.  If more liquid is needed during cooking, add more of the above liquids.  Stir frequently, being careful not to let it stick.

A crock pot is worry free (cook several hours on HIGH).  I always use a crock pot.

This makes approximately 12 pints which I put in freezer containers and freeze after it has cooled.

A pint will fill a double crusted 9" pie.  Prick the top crust and bake at 400°  until the crust is done.
Our family makes an individual pie.  A double pie recipe with 1 pint of mincemeat will make 8 pies.
You should try it sometime.  It's a Ragsdale Family Tradition!  

Happy Thanksgiving, Y'all!





post signature

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I may have to work on this one for another ten years. Traditions are fun. I've adopted Bill's mom's awesome sweet potato casserole and it's become my favorite Thanksgiving dish.

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed! You are amazing! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I hope you stay healthy.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you do all you do....of course in a couple of generations you have gone from killing your own pig to using a food processor and crock pot...no wonder you like Pioneer Woman