Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Facebook or Not?

A few weeks ago Tim's brother sent an email informing him that he really should join facebook.  His email stated that both of Tim's brothers have an account as well as a few of his sisters-in-law.  Peer pressure!  All of our nieces and nephews on Tim's side have accounts, so what better way to keep up with all 11 of them?  I didn't even consider joining, but a few nights later Tim had his very own page.  


I had no idea what was involved.  All I knew was that my computer had once again been highjacked and that we were suddenly inundated with emails informing us that many of his fraternity brothers and high school friends immediately wanted to be his friend (again).  I have to admit, it was fun to see their names.  I could even name their hometowns - one of the many things you have to commit to memory as a pledge.  Why I have Tim's frat brothers' hometowns stuck in my head, I don't know, but I do.  I could also spout off all phone numbers for every place we've lived - and those of most of our friends - but I will spare you the boredom.  I began to wonder how many old girlfriends he would hear from... evidently he was quite a casanova.  I felt confirmed in my suspicions when our nephew, Adam, emailed to congratulate Tim on his new status as "married".  Evidently everytime you change your status, pictures, or profile, everyone on your friends list is notified.  Talk about having a public!!!  So, Tim had enrolled in facebook but didn't complete all profile options, so when he updated his marital status a few days later, that sent red flags around the world.

So, as I sit here watching the Top Chef Season Premiere, I am contemplating a page of my own.  I just don't know if I want to open myself up for all eyes to see every move that I make!  Strange, I know.  Here I am blogging away and I am apprehensive about friends seeing my "wall" and what is said about anything and everything.  It can be impersonal or personal, I guess.  Somehow you can monitor the privacy levels.  However, I do suppose it is a good place to get started as my kids approach their teen years.  By the time they are allowed to have a page, it will be old hat for me.  Maybe I will even show them around the site and educate them on all of the ins and outs of their own Facebook page.

I have been impressed to see how many of our friends have pages.  It would be fun to link up with them again - and it seems much easier than a blog to maintain.  Obviously my curiosity is peaked and I am on the verge of caving in - maybe by the end of the weekend.  But I'll have to keep blogging for my sanity!  Winter is fast approaching and the dreary gray days are here. I will soon begin my hibernation by the fire with my friendly laptop close for my fingers to blog  (and facebook???) away.

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Coming from the Middle Ages, I just want to know, what do you have to do to read someone's facebook? Do you have to create your own facebook page?