Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Texas Fun

We arrived in Dallas yesterday afternoon. Let me just tell you. It is hot here. Texas hot. When we moved to Mississippi, it was like a sauna – very steamy, and that was “Africa hot” (as Matthew Broderick described in Biloxi Blues). Today it is 102° - very sunny, very hot. Texas HOT! Who cares! We’ve been to the pool and we are having the best time.

We were greeted at the airport by 2 of my very best friends. Deanna was a sorority pledge sister and Amy was my best friend in Memphis (husbands were students and we had lots of free time on our hands). 7 years ago Amy moved close to Deanna and I matched the two up! Two friends within 10 minutes of each other makes a vacation very easy to plan! Last night we had dinner at Deanna's. Tomorrow we will be at Amy's. Deanna and family are headed out on a college search trip. Eppy and A came out to Southlake to visit today. We roomed together in college in apartment 18F at The Centre. 18F was our identity the whole year of 1990-1991. We parted as graduates and I was a future bride. Now, between the 3, of us we have 8 kids. They brought their girls for lunch. It’s been 4 years since we’ve seen them, but it feels like just yesterday. All of the kids were taller, some with more teeth, some with less. Caroline has braces. Haley lost a tooth on her way to the pool today. We cover almost all years between 6 and 12. It’s fun to look back over our visits and the stages we’ve been through.

Tim and I moved to Memphis while the rest of 18F moved to Dallas. The summer of 1990, I had also planned to move to "The Big D". However, when Tim decided to end the Big Break-up and he realized just how much he really needed me in his life, he convinced me to change my future and join him in Memphis. Luckily for him, I did.

2 of our 4 roomies are still in Dallas. The 4th is in Houston. She's the one I chose to spotlight a few months ago. She's about to move to NYC 'cause her husband is a mover and a shaker. So, the rest of the 18F'ers are planning a big 40th trip to see her in her new and amazing digs sometime later this year.Anyway, we had lots of fun seeing my old friends. Dallas is just as great as I remember from my college days when we used to head up I-35 for some shopping and fun. I can't wait to see what else the week brings!

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What fun to see your friends a few years later. They haven't changed much. They still look as cute as ever and it looks like you all were having fun. I guessed the wrong person for your spotlight last week. What a great trip for your big 40th trip.