Sunday, July 13, 2008

Almost Vacation

It's hard to believe... summer is half over. I have been home for the entire first half although 3 of our 4 kids have taken short jaunts out of town. I can't say it's been relaxing. I haven't slept in much and I haven't had anytime to sit around and watch tv. Sleeping in and spending hours upon hours perusing the channels used to be my idea of relaxation. Those ideas went out with the bath water about 12-1/2 years ago, when I had a child - and then another - and another - in less than 35 months. I remember summer during my teen years as days when I would go to swim practice, come home to eat lunch, watch tv and listen to the locusts in the trees on the HOT Houston afternoons. Eventually I would end up back at the pool, or at the movies with friends. Hmmm. The good ole days.


I don't hear as many locusts these days. I'm not sure if we even have them all the way up here in the mountains of Tennessee. But we do have the heat (although this year it has been quite cool and pleasant), and the sound of kids diving into the pool. I love to take all 4 swimming. I sit in the chair with my eyes closed (for a second) and listen to the sounds of the laughter and splashing in the water. It takes me back to my childhood summers filled with fun - biking, eating Blue Bell ice cream, and sleeping till noon. But my daydreaming is always cut short with a little voice saying "mom?" and I snap back to reality and the fact that I am already 39 and the kids are getting older and older with each second that passes.

This summer for our family has been a little different. We have had at least one child gone every single week. The dynamics have been interesting as I have observed the challenge of doing without a sibling. We even took a trip where we could all fit into one hotel room. Usually we have to get 2 rooms, or a suite.





Caroline missed the state baseball tournament. We ate sushi while Reed was at camp ('cause he isn't too crazy about it). We drove to Alabama to see friends while Brooks and Tim were at Scout Camp. We did "big kid" things while Cole was at camp. I've enjoyed the variety.


The middle of this week brings us to the beginning of a vacation. We are headed to Nashville for a wedding. Our nephew Adam is marrying the cutest girl named Sampy. Caroline will be a jr. bridesmaid, Brooks and Reed will be ushers, and Cole will be the "ring bear". Sunday we are headed to Dallas to spend the week with friends. Then we'll fly to Houston to spend the last week with my parents. Unfortunately, Tim will be at home to work and take care of Sassafras. His vacation was at Scouts this year. August 2, we are going to take a quick trip to the beach, reuniting all 6 of us before school begins again.

Long live summer!! I've so enjoyed the lack of routine and homework!

post signature

No comments: