Saturday, May 31, 2008

Summer

Ahhhhh the sounds of summer have begun. I have this sudden feeling of freedom. I can't really pinpoint what I am free from, but I feel light, happy, and relaxed. I actually noticed myself taking deep breaths three times today. Can you believe it? I had enough time to do something that was not already scheduled on my calendar! I heard the baseball hit the bat today, the sounds of splashing children in the swimming pool, and I endured the heat through it all. Like I said... summer is certainly here.


The beginning of summer is always bittersweet for me. It's a little bit of a shock to have the full responsibility of entertaining 4 children who have strong opinions on what we should do next. I love to have them home all day - we can sleep late, have lunch together (at whatever time we want), and just take in the afternoon in whatever fashion hits us first. But as summer begins, we have to bid our teachers good-bye. This year Cole was a part of his Kindergarten teacher's very first classroom. Reed spent the year with a teacher who we knew well. Brooks was in her class 2 years ago. I knew what to expect, yet it was even better than I remembered. Brooks loved his first year of middle school. Caroline's year brought great success.

I am so thankful for our teachers and for their willingness to help my children through each stage of their education. I always wanted to be a teacher growing up. I played school for hours in my room with the door closed. I had my very own back-scratcher and I dreamed of the beautiful wedge heels that my 3rd grade teacher had. How the shoes relate to school teaching, I don't know, but I thought every teacher had a pair. I also couldn't wait to have my very own blackboard along with a chalk-holder. But somewhere along the way my sense of reason left me and I entered the world of business. Don't get me wrong, I loved my days in Human Resources. I helped plenty of people and learned all kinds of things. But I am just amazed at how a teacher shapes a child's day. When I volunteer in classes, I constantly re-evaluate how I could go back to school and become a teacher. Isn't that crazy?

I guess it has to do with the fact that my mind is beginning to wonder what one does when the kids are all gone. Yes, I know, I have 12 years till my nest will be empty - but it seems like it was 19 years not too long ago and now 7 of those years are gone. I am constantly evaluating what I want to do in my 3rd career. I think I might try something entirely new.

Didn't I tell you I was feeling free? I am actually free to daydream. Today I was free to water the flowers and move a few pots around. We hoisted some junk to the dump and hung the towel bars in the bathroom I painted back in April. I feel like I've been to the spa. Oh yeah, it was just the humidity in the air as I breathed in the heat from the first days of summer. Before our routine begins again.

post signature

No comments: