Sunday, September 14, 2008

Benefits of Cooking Ahead

I used this system a few weeks ago, before we left on our vacation.  I know how busy our weekly schedule is, so I didn't want my mom to have to stress over cooking as she juggled the many activities after school.


Two weeks before I left (the first week of school), I took advantage of the long, quiet days, and cooked ahead.  I cooked chicken enchiladas, spaghetti, tacos, stuffed shells, bbq chuck roast (crockpot), banana bread, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, chicken heroes, and pizza stuff ALL IN ONE DAY!!  The best part of that day was our dinner.  We ate lasagna with friends in their new, beautiful kitchen!  I think I mentioned it before, but when I cook something all day, I can never bring myself to eat it that night.  It's too far into my nasal cavity to contemplate tasting it, too.  I know, I'm wierd, that is a fact.  So, our weekly dinner with this family (at their house) fit in just perfectly.

If you want to see perfect (and beautiful), check out their kitchen on the brick floor website!  The lasagna was terrific, too, and not only because it was cooked by someone other than me!

Once I returned home from our week dodging hurricanes, I still had several items in the freezer.   Using my pre-cooked dinners, I had 4 entrees this week - 2 went with us to scouts and we ate 2 at home.  It was so nice to have them available right after returning from a vacation.  I could concentrate on laundry, cleaning, and spending time with the kids rather than cooking dinner every night.

As we approach fall, I will add soups to my list.  I try to have soup night on Mondays.  We have so many activities that night, it is easy to keep hot soup in the crock pot and serve it in a custom time frame, according to each family member's schedule.

If you have any good freezer-safe recipes, I'd love to have them.  I am always looking for a new addition to my "cook ahead" repertiore.

post signature

No comments: