Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Forgive Me

Here's a quick update on how my life is going. May is particularly busy around here. This past weekend we had 6 baseball games, 2 baseball practices, 1 soccer game, and 4 Sound Company performances.  My parents were here, so they were able to see first hand just how crazy life is.  We had a great time and everything went quite smoothly - which is great considering I had some type of mild stomach ailment on Friday and Saturday.


Monday morning the kids whooshed off to school despite the exhaustion and mess.  Amazingly, I was able to overlook the chaos and make 4 lunches in record time.  You see, I have a messy kitchen phobia.  I really need to have all dishes in the dishwasher before serving breakfast and before making lunches.  Why?  I really don't know.  Tim discovered my phobia long ago and adjusted our Sunday morning schedule.  We used to be late to church every week because I was insistent on having the dishwasher cleaned out and refilled before we left.  So, he simply took over kitchen duty.  He brings me my breakfast while I dry my hair and we are now on time for church again.

All that said, we loaded the dishwasher yesterday before we left for the day's activities.  Somehow between yesterday morning and this morning, I felt for sure that those dishes had been washed. I opened the dishwasher this morning to grab some cups for orange juice.  I filled those puppies up with very pure, delicious orange juice and placed them proudly in front of Reed and Cole.  Right after that, I proceeded to grab the silverware in order to put it back in the drawer.  Suddenly I discovered a horrible truth.  Just as I looked over to see both boys gulping down the last of their drinks, I realized that I had just served their juice in dirty cups.  Reed even commented on how quickly I had run the dishwasher today.  Evidently he had already discovered the dirty dishes and had pulled from the cabinet instead.  

I just didn't have the heart to admit my mistake.  I mean, what do you say?  "Oops!  I just gave you dirty cups?"  I was going to stop them before they started drinking, but upon looking up I realized it was just too late.  Oh, and remember that stomach ailment I had last weekend?  I had the horrible realization that one of those cups had been used for water to wash down my medicine.  There is just really nothing to say.  I just grimaced, gave them kisses, and put those cups right back where they had been.  In the dirty dishwasher.

Just imagine my relief when I went back up to brush my teeth and I found the glass I used on Saturday - still dirty - right beside the sink where I'd left it.

post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing that you could get your thoughts and creativity together after your weekend. I am kind of glad that I left yesterday, before the dirty glasses for the orange juice. However, maybe if we had stayed one more day, the dishes would have been clean. Who knows!!
It was a great weekend to be the Grandparents, we just had to sit back and enjoy all the activities and our very special grandchildren performing for us. Thanks to all of the Ragsdales for such an entertaining weekend.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear of your mistake - I hope it didn't cost you more days w/ sick kids!?!

You'll be interested to know I have the SAME PHOBIA!!! Is this something we picked up growing up? I simply cannot concentrate on making dinner, no matter how desperate we all are, until all the dirty dishes are put away and the kitchen is all clean. Only then can I begin to dirty it again. And it's always tidied up before bed so I don't have to face it in the morning. I must confess though that I despise doing dishes after lunch (am always too tired - I begin my midday break when I sit for lunch), so inevitably there's always a messy kitchen to be cleaned before I begin dinner.